Monday, March 16, 2009

Skiing in Champery


In an effort to keep track of specific places visited, foods eaten and drinks drunk, (and because sometimes I have no idea what to write about, but I know I could document cool experiences) I've decided to ad a bit of format to my vacation-related posts. I figure "Hotel, Restaurant/Food/Drink, Cool Stuff Seen/Heard/Enjoyed" should do it. So here goes:

Spent last weekend in Champery, a town in southwestern Switzerland near the ski resort of Port du Soleil.

Hotel: Le Chalet de Champery, cozy little chalet, made infinitely better by the open bar sans barkeepers all weekend
Food/Drink: Enjoyed good food all weekend, but the aforementioned open bar made drinks the highlight: enjoyed some decent ports, and took my first shot of Appenzell, a Swiss digestiv. Tasted a bit like anisette (sp?), with a medicin-y aftertaste. Then at lunch Sunday, after a few wines, got a free shot of 43% abv pear schnapps. Apparently "no thanks, I'm driving" means "give me a shot of 86 proof liquor" in French.
Oh, also had an awesome meringue dessert at lunch Sunday...see the deliciousness in the pic above
Cool Stuff Seen/Heard/Enjoyed: again, the aforementioned open bar; skied some nice bump runs

No comments: